Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Neighbors helping fire victims in Parowan
by CRAIG BENNETT Iron County Today
Jan 28, 2017 | 1409 views | 0 0 comments | 38 38 recommendations | email to a friend | print
PAROWAN--The community of Parowan is rallying around a family who lost almost all of their possessions in an evening house fire on Jan. 14. The mother, owner of the home and two daughters along with their dog were able to escape unharmed. A son was not at home at the time.

The fire was discovered at approximately 7 p.m. that when the mother and daughter reported smelling smoke in the home. Reportedly, the mother and her daughter had been downstairs when the daughter smelled the smoke. The mother went upstairs and found the fire in the attic.

Fire crews from Parowan, Paragonah, Cedar City as well as crews from Brian Head responded to the fire scene for mutual aid in battling the blaze. Parowan Police, Iron County Sheriff’s office as well as Gold Cross Ambulance were also on scene in case of injuries to the occupants of the home or the firefighters battling the blaze.

No injuries occurred in the fire. Even though the mother and children were able to escape unharmed along with their dog, they lost all of their belongings except for the clothes they were wearing at the time.

“The cause of the fire we believe was either a chimney fire or the stove pipe or chimney may have just gotten really hot,” Parowan Fire Chief Dave Schiers told Iron County Today. “Most of the charring though was found right around the stove pipe and then spread from there.”

When asked what residents can do to prevent chimney fires, Chief Schiers said, “the biggest thing people can do is to have their chimneys cleaned on a regular basis to prevent creosote from building up. It’s the creosote that catches fire and then burns through the stovepipe or even through a brick chimney.”

According to the Chimney Safety Institute,, Chimney Fires Can Be Prevented. Chimney liners or structural problems can allow high temperatures, sparks and embers to escape to combustible areas in walls, roofs or attics. A common cause of chimney fires is creosote inside the chimney catching fire and burning inside the chimney. By definition, creosote is simply unburned wood particles and condensed flue gases ... As creosote builds on the chimney interior, it goes through three stages and ... Glaze is a form of deposit that presents itself as a shiny, tarry substance.

An LDS Bishop in the Parowan area said, “there has been a huge outpouring of local community support for the family in the way of clothes, furniture and a place to live, even a car to drive while they wait for an apartment and other essentials.”

There has been an account has been set up at the State Bank of Southern Utah. If you would like to donate funds for the family, you can donate to The Collins Fire Fund.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Follow us on:
event calendar Icon_info

Saturday, 24, 2017
post a new event Icon_info

Monster Truck Insanity... 1:00 AM to 12:59 AM
The Monster Truck Insanity Tour will turn ...
Show more events...
To watch this video, please click the arrow.

Neighbors helping fire victims i...

4 months ago
by CRAIG BENNETT Iron County Today
more videos...