CEDAR CITY–The Cedar City Local Organizing Committee for the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah is making every effort to educate residents and business owners along the Tour of Utah route and others who may be impacted by temporary road closures on Tuesday, August 7. Listed here are probable impact areas and timelines for businesses, residents and visitors who will be using the same roadways as the Tour of Utah professional cycling stage race that day. The race includes both professional cyclists and caravan vehicles.
Road Closures and No Parking
- Beginning at 6 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 6, intersection of 300 West and University Blvd. (Center St.) will be closed for one block in each direction.
- Beginning at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 7, the closure of University Blvd. will extend to 100West
- No parking of vehicles or trailers will be allowed on the streets used by the Stage 1 circuit around the SUU campus during overnight hours of Monday, August 6 through 3 p.m. on Tuesday, August 7.
- No parking will be allowed on Main Street in Downtown Cedar City, Center to 200 North (Tuesday, August 7 from 9-11 a.m.).
- NOTE: In the case of emergencies, there will be police officers and course marshals that can help to limit inconveniences.
Parking in Cedar City and on SUU Campus
- Parking at Southern Utah University will be limited due to the circuit around campus.
- Utah Shakespeare Festival patrons are encouraged to park in the lots on 200 South and 300 West.
- All other visitors attending the Velo Village/Expo are encouraged to park in the open lots at Eccles Coliseum or SUU housing complex.
- Additional parking is available on downtown on 100 West and in the Cedar City parking garage on 100 East.
Race Start Information (Neutral/Controlled pace)
- Race begins at 10:50 a.m. at the intersection of 300 West and University Blvd., near the entrance of the Southern Utah Museum of Art.
- Neutral start for a 5.39-mile circuit on the west side of Cedar City onto Leigh Hill. Thissection of the race is controlled speed with no attacks allowed and the pace is generally moderate, like a “parade.” On steep hills, fans may run along with the riders.
- Neutral course is west on W. University Blvd., right on College Way and left on 200 North (Highway 56) and left on Cove Drive to climb onto Leigh Hill for 2.75 miles, following Cove Dr. and Royal Hunte Dr. The neutral course will turn left on Ridge Rd. and a sharp right turn on Sage Dr. to reach 600 South and cross the bridge over I-15.
- Racing will officially begin for the riders on 600 South at 860 West, at approximately 11 a.m.
- The race and all associated caravan vehicles will use 300 West and 200 South to reach Main St.
- The race will pass through Historic Downtown Cedar City on Main St. and then turn on Coal Creek Rd. to depart northward out of Cedar City.
Race Finish Information (Afternoon Finishing Circuit)
- The race is expected to enter Cedar City using SR 14/Center St. (University Blvd.), between 2:15 to 3:30 p.m.
- The race will make close to three laps around the campus of Southern Utah University, traveling in a clockwise direction from East Center St. to 200 East to 200 South to 1150 West to West University Blvd.
- The Stage 1 winner is expected to cross the finish line on W. University Blvd. between 2:45 to 3:45 p.m.
- Each lap is 2.7 miles in length and should take six minutes to complete.
- Expect delays in the downtown area until 4:30 p.m., while the race and caravan vehicles complete the three finishing circuits and an awards ceremony is concluded for live television and online broadcasts.
Special Notice for Motorists
- Passing is NOT permitted by any motor vehicle along the road being used by the professional cyclists or authorized race caravan vehicles. Traffic is allowed to follow behind the race, but only at the same speed as the race, which averages 22 to 28 miles per hour. If you are traveling toward the race (in the opposite direction of the race), the Utah Highway Patrol and Cedar City Police will be controlling all traffic at certain intersections, treating this as a rolling road closure.
Neutral Start Route (10:50 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.)
Temporary Closures: Motorists will be temporarily held up at intersections, driveways and any lanes headed directly into the moving peloton.
Afternoon Circuit Closures (2:15-3:15 p.m.)
Afternoon Closures: The race finishing laps, about 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. (or until last rider completes race), requires a complete circuit lockdown (200 East to 1150 West and University/Center St. to 200 South), police and volunteers will have barriers and cones with instructions on how traffic can flow around the race.
Alternative Routes for Southbound traffic (Main Street to 200 North/Hwy 56): Traffic attempting to get to the south side of Cedar City can use Interstate 15 at Exit 59 (200 North), or take surface streets on the east or west side of downtown Cedar City. West side detour roads are College Way, left on University Blvd, left on Ridge Road. East side detour roads are 300 East, left on Center Street, right on 400 East.
Northbound traffic (Main Street to 600 South): Traffic attempting to get to the north side of Cedar City can get on Interstate 15 at Exit 57 and get off at Exit 59 or 62 or take surface streets from detour. West side: go west on 600 South, across bridge (over I-15), up Sage Drive and right on Ridge Road. East side: take 400 South to 400 East, left on Center Street and right on 300 East.